    SubjectRe: [future of drivers?] a proposal for binary drivers.
    Jan Knutar wrote:

    >On Wednesday 08 March 2006 23:28, Tim Tassonis wrote:
    >

    >>OS/2 died exactly because software companies didn't write closed-source
    >>software, hardware companies didn't write closed-source drivers, and IBM
    >>couldn't write it all themselves.
    >>

    >I read somewhere that the development kit was obscenely expensive and
    >effectively locked out all hobbyists and small companies.

    IBM stuff may have been expensive.
    There was gcc for os/2 though, which was nice for hobbyists.
    The way I remember it, drivers wasn't the big problem. The lack of drivers
    could have become a problem if the lack of software was solved. But it
    wasn't - no need to drive a device for which you don't have an app . . .

    Having gcc meant one could port some gpl software, which usually
    originated on linux or other unixes. But using such software on
    linux was always easier, and so I switched os.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2006-03-13 12:20    [W:0.044 / U:58.752 seconds]