SubjectRe: Patch: MSI-K8T-Neo2-Fir OnboardSound and additional Soundcard
On Mon, 2006-03-13 08:57:42 +0100, Johannes Goecke <goecke@upb.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:41:29PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 20:28 +0100, Johannes Goecke wrote:
> > This has been discussed on LKML recently, it's not 2.6.16 material
> > because it might break working setups when the previously disabled
> > device becomes the default sound card. Of course the same setup would
> > have broken if we added a driver for a previously unsupported soundcard,
> > so I'm not sure how this fits in with the "don't break userspace" rule.
>
> would it be useful to add a compile-time-option and additionally
> a kernel-command-line option for some bogus-code like
>
> if ( commandline-enable || compiletime-enable )
> {
> /* Enable all Soundcards- Found */
> }

Well, the whole collection of Quirks isn't based on a device-type
model, but purely on IDs. So either there's a workaround for some
oddity, or there isn't.

Though it may make sense to re-submit if right after 2.6.16 is out.

> can someone give me a (kernel-programming-beginner-level) hint, for the first
> question how to ensure to only execute if running on the right Mother-board?
> Af far as I believe the quirk so-far only checks the cipset, so it might
> behave wrong on other Mainborads!

That depends on wether the soundchip is inside the chipset. If it is,
you can just ignore that and run the quirk if the proper device was
found (as you do it right now.) If you really need to verify the
mainboard (as per name/vendor), have a look at
./arch/i386/kernel/{reboot,apm}.c . They both are DMI users.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O

  Last update: 2006-03-13 09:16    [W:0.118 / U:0.096 seconds]