    SubjectRE: Router stops routing after changing MAC Address
    Yup.

    I had a situation 2 weeks ago where a customer connected a system to the
    Internet with an IP Address he should not have used. And the little
    Cisco router on the frontend dutifully recorded it in its ARP cache -
    forever, with no TTL! This took down their webmail for most of a day
    until we finally had to cycle the power on that nasty little Cisco 678.

    Bigger routers do it too. I've had several situations over the years
    where I replaced an older firewall with a newer one with the same IP
    Addresses. All the internal servers find it soon enough. But I've
    waited literally hours for the routers to finally purge their ARP caches
    so they would see my replacement systems - often with the customer
    looking over my shoulders getting more and more nervous by the minute.

    And sometimes the routers are not accessible - you can't cycle them even
    if you had permission. Consider the cases of bridged DSL service -
    where the real router could be on the other side of the country. Try
    calling an ISP and asking the tech on the other end to purge an ARP
    cache on a router. So the same IP Addresses but different MAC
    addresses, all you can do is wait for the passage of (lots of) time.
    That happened to me in my own network once. I accidently took down my
    email server for something like 4 hours one time when I got careless.

    > Indeed, there is a large onus on the software doing the MAC
    > override to make sure it does not break the required uniqueness.
    > Just as if one were using locally administered MAC addresses.

    Yes. My 12:34:56 OUI scheme will work for this project but it is
    definitely not good for the long term. I really really hope I have to
    spend some money with the IEEE soon to support lots and lots of
    rollouts. :)

    - Greg Scott