SubjectRe: [RFC] vfs: cleanup of permission()
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote on 01/03/2006 12:37:51:

> > And finally, please don't remove nameidata. Modules out there depend
on it

> are those modules about to merged into the kernel? The current intent

See third paragraph of my reply.

> infrastructure isn't fulfilling what it should do well, and from what
> I've seen on the discussions it sounds that the best way forward is to
> undo the current implementation and then roll out one which caters to
> the needs of the existing users better.

That I don't know so I can't comment at the moment. I haven't seen
anything on linux-security-modules recently?

> As external module, you have little say so far simply because your usage
> isn't visible. I'd urge you to quickly submit your code so that the
> things you need from this are better visible to the people who are
> thinking and working on the redesign.

I know all that, but it is a complicated matter to discuss. That's why I
was planning to make a comprehensive announcement which would discuss most
of the hot topics. Ideally yes, I would like to merge, but it won't happen
now. The first thing I would like to do is establish common ground with
other security vendors so that we could approach the problem together.
Personaly, I am not sure whether insisting that everything should be a
part of kernel is a right thing to do even though I think I understand all
the up- and down-sides of both policies.

Having said all this above, I am afraid that there will be no other choice
but to start working on the announcement asap. :)

> > and we at Sophos are about to release a new product which needs it as
> > well.
>
> I assume we're talking about an open source product, or at least kernel
> component, here?

Of course. Kernel component might be known to some as Talpa and it is
released under GPL.

  Last update: 2006-03-01 14:01    [W:0.101 / U:0.320 seconds]