    SubjectRe: PCI-DMA: Out of IOMMU space on x86-64 (Athlon64x2), with solution
    On Thursday 02 March 2006 00:23, Michael Monnerie wrote:
    > Hello, I use SUSE 10.0 with all updates and actual kernel 2.6.13-15.8 as
    > provided from SUSE (just self compiled to optimize for Athlon64, SMP,
    > and HZ=100), with an Asus A8N-E motherboard, and an Athlon64x2 CPU.
    > This host is used with VMware GSX server running 6 Linux client and one
    > Windows client host. There's a SW-RAID1 using 2 SATA HDs.

    Nvidia hardware SATA cannot directly DMA to > 4GB, so it
    has to go through the IOMMU. And in that kernel the Nforce
    ethernet driver also didn't do >4GB access, although the ethernet HW
    is theoretically capable.

    Maybe VMware pins unusually much IO memory in flight (e.g. by using
    a lot of O_DIRECT). That could potentially cause the IOMMU to fill up.
    The RAID-1 probably also makes it worse because it will double the IO
    mapping requirements.

    Or you have a leak in some driver, but if the problem goes away
    after enlarging the IOMMU that's unlikely.

    What would probably help is to get a new SATA controller that can
    access >4GB natively and at some point update to a newer kernel
    with newer forcedeth driver. Or just run with the enlarged IOMMU.

      Last update: 2006-03-02 02:04    [W:0.022 / U:315.488 seconds]