SubjectRe: [RFC] Add kernel<->userspace ABI stability documentation
On 2006-03-01T15:10:31, Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> wrote:

> IMHO this is not a good example as there is really no reason to install
> udev on such a box at all. Remember: KISS. Having a static /dev and
> /etc/modules filled in (or even better, a monolithic kernel) is far more
> reliable to administer.
>
> On a desktop machine when you are plugging in various USB/Firewire/etc.
> devices all the time udev works great. On a remote server there is no
> real need for udev.

You can't get away that easily ;-)

First, even the enterprise distributions nowadays all use hotplug/udev
etc - for reducing the maintenance complexity, and also enterprise
systems do see a fair bit of hotplugging of new network cards, PCI
adapters, drives, or even USB attachments.

Second, sometimes my desktop is the machine I'm logging into from
remote while on the road.

The distinction isn't as clear as you think it is.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
High Availability & Clustering