        Hi Lennart :)

    * Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> dixit:
    > On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:02:19PM +0100, DervishD wrote:
    > > cdrecord is GPL, so in the end nobody has the right to ask you to
    > > modify it in ways you don't like or you don't want it to. That goes
    > > with free software: you don't pay, you don't have the right to ask
    > > for things. But, how about trying to listen to third parties? I mean,
    > > you are probably OK ignoring my suggestions, I am probably a mediocre
    > > programmer, but... do you _really_ think that you are more clever
    > > than ALL the programmers in this mailing list? Do you _really_ think
    > > that you have the correct answer and that ALL of them are plainly
    > > wrong? Do you _REALLY_ think that EVERYBODY is wrong *except* you in
    > > this issue about the user interface?
    >
    > Hmm, perhaps what should be done is that someone needs to write and
    > maintain a patch that linux users can apply to cdrecord (since other OSs
    > are different and hence have no reason to use such a patch), to make it
    > behave in a manner which is sane on linux. It should of course be
    > clearly marked as having been changed in such a way. It should use udev
    > if available and HAL and whatever else is appropriate on a modern linux
    > system, and if on an old system it should at least not break the
    > interfaces that already worked on those systems in cdrecord.

    Matthias Andree posted such a patch last week, and he was ignored
    by Joerg. In fact, he got an answer of "I haven't looked at it and I
    never will" or something like that (check the list archives).

    Joerg was offered help to maintain a bit of code he doesn't want
    to maintain and rejected it.

    > cdrecord does a wonderful job writing CDs, once you get the silly
    > command line syntax right and figure out which device option it
    > wants you to tell it to access your write. I still find the syntax
    > of driveropts=option=value is a bit odd, although the linux kernel
    > does the same thing for some kernel boot arguments as far as I
    > recall, so who am I to argue.

    cdrecord is a good tool, no doubt about that. IMHO it can be
    improved by changing the user interface and getting rid of useless
    warnings, but nonetheless it is a good tool. The problem is Joerg
    attitude...

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado