    SubjectRe: Terminate process that fails on a constrained allocation V3
    On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > - Do not return NULL and therefore do not change the return values of
    > > __alloc_pages.
    >
    > Hmm, to make this work well i guess mmap() would need to be changed
    > to take the policy into account when doing the !MAP_NORESERVE checking
    > when the kernel runs in strict no overcommit mode.
    > Otherwise there is no fool proof way an application can prevent getting killed.

    There is no fool proof way right now for the MPOL_BIND case.

    > And mbind() would need to recompute it and fail if the new policy's possible
    > allocation are not guaranteed to work.

    Well we need to fix that but the patch does not introduce the problem.

    > Doing this all properly would probably get quite messy.

    I'd say making overcommit working nicely with MPOL_BIND is yet another
    fundamental issue for the policy layer but it does not matter for this
    patch.

      Last update: 2006-02-09 21:14    [W:0.020 / U:126.632 seconds]