SubjectRe: 2.6.15 Bug? New security model?
Date
CC'ed also the reiser-list

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 06:37, John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:31:46PM +1300, Sam Vilain wrote:
> > Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > >With 2.6.15:
> > >bathl:~# touch /var/run/test
> > >touch: cannot touch `/var/run/test': Permission denied
> > >With 2.6.13:
> > >bathl:~# touch /var/run/test
> > >(No error message)
> >
> > Some ideas; ACLs, SELinux, Attributes, Capabilities.
>
> lsattr -d /var/run && lsattr /var/run

Indeed, with 2.6.13

bathl:~# lsattr -d /var/run
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /var/run

with 2.6.15.3

bathl:~# cat lsatr.out.2.6.15
--S-ia-AcBZXEj-t- /var/run

After the problem came up, I already suspected something like this and
therefore already had the kernel recompiled without xattr support, so I
don't know why lsattr shows something for 2.6.15 and nothing for 2.6.13.

here the reiser part from the kernel config of 2.6.13

CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY=y
# CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

here 2.6.15

CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
# CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set

Anyway, I never set any attributes using chattr, so these seem to be random
attributes, nice.

--
Bernd Schubert
PCI / Theoretische Chemie