    SubjectRe: 2.6.15 Bug? New security model?
    CC'ed also the reiser-list

    On Wednesday 08 February 2006 06:37, John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:31:46PM +1300, Sam Vilain wrote:
    > > Bernd Schubert wrote:
    > > >With 2.6.15:
    > > >bathl:~# touch /var/run/test
    > > >touch: cannot touch `/var/run/test': Permission denied
    > > >With 2.6.13:
    > > >bathl:~# touch /var/run/test
    > > >(No error message)
    > >
    > > Some ideas; ACLs, SELinux, Attributes, Capabilities.
    > lsattr -d /var/run && lsattr /var/run

    Indeed, with 2.6.13

    bathl:~# lsattr -d /var/run
    lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /var/run

    bathl:~# cat lsatr.out.2.6.15
    --S-ia-AcBZXEj-t- /var/run

    After the problem came up, I already suspected something like this and
    therefore already had the kernel recompiled without xattr support, so I
    don't know why lsattr shows something for 2.6.15 and nothing for 2.6.13.

    here the reiser part from the kernel config of 2.6.13

    # CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
    # CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set

    here 2.6.15

    # CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
    # CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
    # CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set
    # CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
    # CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set

    Anyway, I never set any attributes using chattr, so these seem to be random
    attributes, nice.

    > I saw very similar things going from to's
    > changelog advertises a fix to reenable extended attributes on reiserfs.
    > On one machine this is fine, and lsattr shows no attributes enabled
    > (----------), but on another machine, I ended up with all sorts of crazy
    > attributes set seemingly randomly -- compression, experimental flags,
    > immutable, append-only, all over the map.
    > I tried clearing them (chattr -R = /var ...etc), but I still found a
    > file here and there which refused to be removed, even though lsattr
    > showed no flags for it. After a restart or 2, I saw some attributes
    > revert back and I started having trouble removing files from /var/run
    > and other places again.
    > I ended up reverting back to until I have a chance to
    > investigate further and try to come up with something reportable. In
    >, attributes didn't work at all, giving an ioctl error, though
    > the same kernel options were used. I suspect this is the fix to which
    > the Changelog is referring.
    > I must wonder if I'm suffering from some sort of fs corruption which
    > only manifests itself in the attribute settings, and which a reisefsck
    > doesn't recognize or correct. I could be tempted to recreate the
    > filesystems from scratch to see if they still have issues.

    Bernd Schubert
    PCI / Theoretische Chemie
    Universität Heidelberg
    INF 229
    69120 Heidelberg

      Last update: 2006-02-08 13:17    [W:0.034 / U:0.192 seconds]