    Subjectpid_t range question

    On Linux, type pid_t is defined as an int if you look
    through all the intermediate definitions such as S32_T,
    etc. However, it wraps at 32767, the next value being 300.

    Does anybody know why it doesn't go to 0x7fffffff and
    then wrap to the first unused pid value? I know the
    code "reserves" the first 300 pids. That's not the
    question. I wonder why. Also I see the code setting
    the upper limit as well. I want to know why it is
    set within the range of a short and is not allowed
    to use the full range of an int. Nothing I see in
    the kernel, related to the pid, ever uses a short
    and no 'C' runtime interface limits this either!

    Also, attempts to change /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max fail
    if I attempt to increase it, but I can decrease it
    to where I don't have enough pids available to fork()
    the next command! Is this the correct behavior?

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.66 BogoMips).
    Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
    _

    The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

    Thank you.

      Last update: 2006-02-07 17:26    [W:0.022 / U:31.016 seconds]