SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
Quoting Nigel Cunningham <nigel@suspend2.net>:

> Of course, having said that, I don't know how
> many people would be more likely to use it if it was in mainline and they
> didn't have to patch their kernels, but I'd suspect it would be at least
> that number again.

Well, there are far more people that use what distrubutions provide
than anything else. And distributions tend to like applying some
patches to the vanilla kernel, but if at all possible, not to be too
far away from mainline. Which is a good policy, of course, as it
reduces the amount of work for them and makes them submit improvements
upstream.

So, when distributors are able to get their hands on something that
Just Works in the mainline, they will make sure things are nicely
integrated, variety of configs are supported (like suspending to swap
partitions, swap files or regular files), that the whole thing looks
pretty and performs well. All of this can be done with Suspend2 today.

So, it isn't just about the basics any more (i.e. who can suspend and
who cannot). Majority of users prefer things that work better, are
faster and look prettier.

--
Bojan