    On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:50:11PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
    > Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > >Actually, since at that point in time HAL is the only way to do device
    > >discovery with the linux kernel, problems in HAL are problems in
    > >linux. There is *no* other way than HAL to do the mapping between a
    > >point in the sysfs tree and a device node in /dev[1].
    > That information is available in /sys, which is how HAL discovers it.

    No, it isn't. OTOH, udev maintains it, so I guess that's good enough.
    It makes udev the kernel interface though. I hope they now care about
    compatibility (/dev/.udev.pdb vs. /dev/.udev/db/* anyone?).

    > If you wanted to, you could bypass HAL and go directly to /sys to
    > perform your own discovery. Also HAL is not a part of the linux kernel,
    > therefore a problem in HAL is NOT a problem in linux, even if there were
    > no other way to get the information as you ( wrongly ) asserted.

    Bullshit. If <x> is the only interface available to a kernel service,
    then <x> is part of the kernel whether you like it or not. Case in
    point, the ALSA library.

      Last update: 2006-02-03 21:49    [W:0.069 / U:7.060 seconds]