Albert Cahalan <acahalan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/2/06, Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > "Jim Crilly" <jim@why.dont.jablowme.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I see the same thing with, the only external kernel patch I have
> > > applied is Suspend2. The ATA scanbus code tries to
> > > open("/dev/hda", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_EXCL) and that fails, and since
> >
> > This is not cdrecord but a bastardized version......
>
> True enough, but it would work great if you'd fix that bug
> that makes cdrecord give up while scanning. I guess
> that's one more patch Debian will be applying.

As including O_EXCL would disallow to use more than one cdrecord
program at the same time, there is no chance for the mains stream source.

> Using O_EXCL is kind of broken, because you'll need to
> retry any failures, but that's life. You hacked cdrecord to
> properly interact with the Solaris volume manager. You
> can do the same for HAL.

Well the big difference with Solaris is that several modifications have been
applied by Sun to the vold sub-system on Solaris in order to decently
support cdrecord.

The last change was done with Nevada Build 21 in August 2005.

It makes sense for Linux not to ignore CD/DVD writing. Solaris also did
chose not to ignore cdrecord.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)