    SubjectRe: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) (was: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?)
    >> >2. find out the current state of affairs,
    >>
    >> I am currently able to properly write all sorts of CD-R/RW and DVD±R/RW,
    >> DVD-DL with no problems using
    >> cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdb
    >> it _currently_ works, no matter how ugly or not this is from either Jörg's
    >> or any other developer's POV - therefore it's fine from the end-user's POV.
    >
    >How did you manage to burn a dual layer disc? I have been completely
    >unsuccessful at doing this at all. :(

    You have to add -driver=mmc_dvdplusr , because the Dual Layer discs are
    not yet in the ProDVD database as it seems.

    >> I'm fine (=I agree) with the general possibility of having it setuid,
    >> though.
    >
    >Provided it doesn't allow burning files the real-user shouldn't be able to
    >access... But since cdrecord is commonly suid-root, I presume this has long
    >been taken into consideration.

    Security-critical environments like data centers either have a Windows
    NT-style machine providing <enter whacky burning software here>, or they
    've got a specialized machine that is marked "use for cd burning - note
    security implications". Usually there is no problem with that as in that
    case, you should remove your ISO you copied over for writing after writing.

    >> SUSE currently does it in A Nice Way: setfacl'ing the devices to include
    >> read access for currently logged-in users. (Well, if someone logs on tty1
    >> after you, you're screwed anyway - he could have just ejected the cd when
    >> he's physically at the box.)
    >
    >Aren't user-groups per-session anyway? Why not simply have the login program
    >apply a 'localusers' group to all local sessions and set device permissions
    >for that group?

    userwhat? You mean supplemental groups as printed by id(1)? I find them
    ugly, because it's a real hassle to manage it with files.

    In the past, NGROUPS_MAX also was 32, being more of a limit than today.

    >To add to the security, perhaps there is a way to remove the
    >'localusers' permissions from all backgrounded processes (screen, etc) when
    >the user logs out?

    Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2006-02-03 15:11    [W:0.024 / U:30.156 seconds]