SubjectRe: o_sync in vfat driver
On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 15:27 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 14:06 +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> > > well. If you don't want it *DO NOT USE IT AT THE MOUNT COMMAND LINE* !!!
> >
> > That is easy to say when you are using the command line... Modern
> > distros (as you know I am sure) mount all hot-plug devices like usb
> > keys, usb hard disks, etc automatically at plug-in time and at least
> > some distros use "-o sync"
>
> that is a bad misdesign of that distro or at least the tool the distro
> uses for this (I don't know which it is so I can say that without
> sounding partial :)
>
> the tool that decides to use "sync", or at least the author thereof,
> should be aware of what flash is, and that it has a limited lifespan etc
> etc, and that you thus want maximum caching etc.

I agree completely which is why we hack the system to remove the o_sync
on our distro derivative. (-:

But my point was that your solution of "don't do that then" is not much
use to your average user who sits in front of such distro in graphical
desktop as they are not technical enough to find and hack their hotplug
system to work properly...

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/