SubjectRe: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Date
James Ketrenos <jketreno@linux.intel.com> wrote:
| As a result of this change, some of the capabilities currently required
| to be provided on the host include enforcement of regulatory limits for
| the radio transmitter (radio calibration, transmit power, valid
| channels, 802.11h, etc.) In order to meet the requirements of all
| geographies into which our adapters ship (over 100 countries) we have
| placed the regulatory enforcement logic into a user space daemon that
| we provide as a binary under the same license agreement as the
| microcode. We provide that binary pre-compiled as both a 32-bit and
| 64-bit application. The daemon utilizes a sysfs interface exposed by
| the driver in order to communicate with the hardware and configure the
| required regulatory parameters.

I fail to see how a binary-only daemon can be used to enforce
regulatory limits. What stops a user from running a daemon for
another country, enforcing different limits?

--
Dick Streefland //// Altium BV
dick.streefland@altium.nl (@ @) http://www.altium.com