    SubjectRe: Kernel SeekCompleteErrors... Different from Re: LibPATA code issues /
    * Mark Lord ( wrote:

    > >>Nope. Different issues.
    > >I have changed the Subject line to indicate this so any future responses
    > >can be indicated.

    > >>The disk really does have bad sectors in this case (above).
    > >The disk has NO bad sectors. It has been checked using two different tests.
    > The *only* test that matters is to enable S.M.A.R.T.,
    > and read out the error logs from it.

    I have seen a set of drives that has reported UncorrectableErrors
    and :
    * Shows the Uncorrectable error in the SMART log
    * Passes a full SMART test
    * Shows no remapped sectors
    * Passes the vendors drive test
    * Now fully passes a dd if=/dev/hdx of=/dev/null with no errors.

    They were a set of 250GB SATA drives by the same vendor; I've taken
    them out one at a time as each did the same thing and replaced them
    with another vendors drive. They were all in use in RAID-1 MD
    configuration (under heavy load).

    I do wonder about the 'uncorrectable error rate' that vendors report;
    it doesn't seem very large - but I'll admit to not understanding its
    units. Are soft non-repeatable uncorrectable errors expected in
    principal? (Pointers to a good explanation of what this actually
    means would be appreciated).

    I do wonder how often this happens to people and if the read succeeds
    again they just blame it on software.

    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /

      Last update: 2006-02-26 18:15    [W:0.023 / U:61.584 seconds]