    SubjectRe: creating live virtual files by concatenation
    On 2/25/06, Rik van Riel <riel@redhat.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
    >
    > > Code files, DNS zones, configuration files, HTML code. We are still
    > > dealing with lots of text files today.
    >
    > You say it like it's a bad thing, but in truth I suspect
    > people often deal with text files because they're EASY
    > to manipulate through scripts, etc.

    I agree 100%, plain text serial files are *easy*.

    Given the swiss-army knife of tools we have at our disposal (cat, cut,
    head, tail, sed, awk, split, sort, grep and many more), plain text
    files are very easy to manipulate - not to mention write apps to
    manipulate. And that is a very good thing IMHO.

    I can imagine quite a mess if I open a file that is really a view of
    several files and then start manipulating text in it across "actual
    file" boundaries that could blow up easily.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>