    SubjectRe: Patch to make the head.S-must-be-first-in-vmlinux order explicit
    Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com> writes:

    > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    >> Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> writes:

    >>> bzImage image should be only generated after vmlinux is done and then the
    >>> address should be available with a simple grep in System.map
    >> Andi it is more than that. At least it was last I payed attention.
    >> There are symbols like stext that various things depend on being early,
    >> at least last time I looked. So while it is doable it requires some
    >> careful looking.
    >
    > _stext and such are very easy. That is actually not a real variable just a
    > linker script thing, and since the reordering works on the linker script level
    > that's already taken care of ;-)

    It is currently a symbol defined in head.S though. Not hard to fix
    but the point is that there are a few subtle things.

    > I've looked some yesterday at generating this at runtime, and haven't found a
    > clean enough solution yet (esp one that doesn't break kdump); I'll keep poking
    > at it for a bit more though....

    I suspect the easy way to do this is to put a variable with the start location
    either at the very start or the very end of the data that gets compressed that
    has the address to jump to. Once we uncompressed the data we can lookup
    the pointer and jump to it.

    Eric

      Last update: 2006-02-24 15:20    [W:3.222 / U:0.004 seconds]