    SubjectRe: Mapping to 0x0
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > The mmap() usually succeeds and maps something at address 0x00000000. Now
    > what if the kernel would try to execute this (of course badly programmed)
    > code in the context of this very process?
    > int (*callback)(int xyz) = NULL;
    > callback();
    > Would not be the badcode be executed with kernel privileges?

    I'm not sure, but I would suspect it might, yes, at least on some
    platforms and configurations. However, this unlikely to be a serious
    problem, since any kernel code that executed a callback method which
    could be a NULL without checking for that would blow up the system in
    the vast majority of cases where nothing was mapped at address 0.

    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from
    Home Page:

      Last update: 2006-02-24 03:21    [W:0.127 / U:17.024 seconds]