    SubjectRe: Status of X86_P4_CLOCKMOD?
    On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:59:37PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > > > This one is an x86_64 only issue, and yes, it's wrong.
    > >
    > > That's for P4, not X86_64... And since P4 clock modulation does not provide
    > > almost any energy savings it was "hidden" under embedded.
    >
    > But the EMBEDDED dependency is only on x86_64:
    >
    > arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/Kconfig:
    > config X86_P4_CLOCKMOD
    > tristate "Intel Pentium 4 clock modulation"
    > select CPU_FREQ_TABLE
    > help
    >
    > arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/Kconfig:
    > config X86_P4_CLOCKMOD
    > tristate "Intel Pentium 4 clock modulation"
    > depends on EMBEDDED
    > help
    >
    > And if the option is mostly useless, what is it good for?

    It's sometimes useful in cases where the target CPU doesn't have any better
    option (Speedstep/Powernow). The big misconception is that it
    somehow saves power & increases battery life. Not so.
    All it does is 'not do work so often'. The upside of this is
    that in some situations, we generate less heat this way.

    It's really of limited practical use, but occasionally, we find
    some users that do find it handy. (One case I heard was someone
    with a server farm that generated lots of heat, but at nighttime,
    he could throttle that back, which resulted in a drop in overall
    temperature in the serverroom -- no numbers to back it up though,
    just anecdotes).

    As to the difference of EMBEDDED.. on 32bit, there's a lot more
    systems without speedstep/powernow, so it makes more sense to
    make it more widely available. Nearly all AMD64/EM64T have
    some form of speed-scaling which is more effective than p4-clockmod,
    which is why I assume it's set that way.

    Andi can probably confirm the thinking on that one, as I think
    he added it when x86-64 first started supporting cpufreq.

    Dave

      Last update: 2006-02-23 21:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.128 seconds]