    SubjectRe: kbuild: Section mismatch warnings
    On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 01:21:33AM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:09:21PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:47:02PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > > > Background:
    > > > I have introduced a build-time check for section mismatch and it showed
    > > > up a great number of warnings.
    > > > Below is the result of the run on a 2.6.16-rc1 tree (which my kbuild
    > > > tree is based upon) based on a 'make allmodconfig'
    >
    > Greg - related to this I have thought a bit on __devinit versus __init.
    > With HOTPLUG enabled __devinit becomes empty and thus violate any checks
    > for illegal references to .init.text.

    I _really_ hate __devinit. Almost everyone who uses it gets it wrong
    the first time (like pci hotplug drivers using it, which is just
    pointless...) Now that CONFIG_HOTPLUG is always enabled (well, it's a
    lot harder to disable it now), hopefully when people get it wrong it
    will not cause problems.

    > Would it make sense to create a specific set of sections for __devinit
    > and frinds so we could check that __devinit sections are not referenced from .text.
    > This is another way to do the current __init checks but with HOTPLUG
    > enabled and I like the result to be consistent with and without HOTPLUG
    > enabled.

    That's not a bad idea.

    > Also I see __devinit being used in different ways. See sound/oss/mad16
    > for instance.
    > Only a few functions are marked __devinit nad I wonder if any should be
    > marked __devinit at all in that file. But due to references to
    > __initdata current checks discovered a potential bug here already today.

    Like I said above, almost everyone uses it incorrectly. I went through
    the whole tree sometime late 2.5 and fixed up everything. It's probably
    time for another audit...

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2006-02-22 06:23    [W:0.022 / U:61.928 seconds]