    Joerg Schilling schrieb am 2006-02-21:

    > Try to use my smake to find out whether you use non-portable constructs.
    > Smake warns you about the most common problems in makefiles.

    To complement this, running Solaris' /usr/{ccs,xpg4}/bin/make and BSD's
    portable make (just bootstrap to obtain "bmake" on Linux)
    is probably a much better approach since it tests real-world make
    implementations rather than an artificial and not widely available local

    > > and? The ATA/IDE drivers are more compact that requiring the _entire_ SCSI
    > > transport code and the specific SCSI driver for a device.
    > This is an unproven statement.

    Proof sketch: Compile Linux without SCSI subsystem and see if
    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc still works.

    > It seems that Linux is not used for developing SCSI applications, otherwise
    > I would not be the only person complaining about this missing feature.

    The other scenario is that nobody but you has problems
    developing/porting SCSI applications to Linux, or nobody but you has
    problems formulating useful bug reports. Holding on to 1999 bug reports
    that you cannot dig up doesn't work without paid support contract,
    as you've seen.

    Matthias Andree

      Last update: 2006-02-21 11:19    [W:0.021 / U:38.296 seconds]