    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > The only piece of user-space code we ship with the kernel is the system
    > call trampoline etc that the kernel sets up. THOSE interfaces we can
    > really change, because it changes with the kernel.

    Side note: if people want to, we could have other "trampolines" like that,
    so that we could have more user-level code that gets distributed with the
    kernel. It doesn't have to be something that gets mapped into every binary
    either: we could - if we wanted to - have things like shared libraries or
    helper shell scripts or whatever that we expose in /sys/shlib/ that are
    kernel-version dependent.

    Then we could perhaps change more things, just because we could change the
    wrappers that actually use them together with the kernel.

    To some degree, /initrd was supposed to do things like that, and in
    theory, it still could. However, realistically, 99% of any /initrd is more
    about the distribution than the kernel, so right now we have to count
    /initrd as a distribution thing, not a kernel thing.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.023 / U:0.784 seconds]