SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
Date
Hi.

On Monday 20 February 2006 20:11, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 10:39 +0100, Matthias Hensler wrote:
> > > It is less work to port suspend2's features into userspace than to
> > > make suspend2 acceptable to mainline. Both will mean big changes,
> >
> > and
> >
> > > may cause some short-term problems, but it will be less pain than
> > > maintaining suspend2 forever. Please help with the former...
> >
> > These "big changes" is something I have a problem with, since it means
> > to delay a working suspend/resume in Linux for another
> > "short-term" (so
> > what does it mean: 1 month? six? twelve?).
>
> If you have a big problem with this then ask the developer why he didn't
> submit it 1 or 6 or 12 months sooner, don't complain to the kernel
> developers.

I submitted it for review 15 months ago. Since then I've been working to apply
the suggestions, clean things up more and finish the last few bits of missing
functionality. Contrary to what Sebas implied earlier, I'm not paid to work
on Suspend2 on a full time basis. I work on it up to 20% of work hours
(thanks, Cyclades), and the remainder of the work is done in my own time.
This often means that things move more slowly than I'd like, but my wife will
happily testify that I still spend too much time on it :)

Regards,

Nigel