On Monday 20 February 2006 09:59, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "D. Hazelton" <dhazelton@enter.net> wrote:
> > > The namne space split is a Linux kernel bug
> >
> > Then why have I been talking about a unification with you?
> >
> > I would quote your comments on it, but since that was a private mail I
> > will not do so.
>
> ????
>
> I did not get any proposal for working on making ide-scsi work nor did
> I get a useful proposal that would explain how it might be done without
> ide-scsi.

Don't even start. In a private exchange you stated that you had been thinking
of mapping ATA/ATAPI devices into a "middle" bus slot to remove the need for
the "ATA" and "ATAPI" host identifiers and to allow libscg to scan the
ATA/ATAPI bus at the same time it scans the SCSI bus on Linux systems.

I asked about using the numbers provided by Linux - ie. /dev/hda = 6,3,0 - and
you said it was wrong and not useful. I've since asked you in another private
mail if you have another solution I could code into the patch and don't
expect a reply until tomorrow.

For the record, I am trying to work with you to resolve these problems, but at
the moment the problem of unifying the scannign of the SCSI and ATA/ATAPI
busses inside libscg in order to workaround the Kernel not providing access
to ATA/ATAPI devices via /dev/sg* is stopped because of the problem of how to
uniquely identify said devices and the problem with the kernel munging SCSI
CDB's for certain devices is stopped because I don't have access to the
hardware to see exactly what gets munged.

And since you've stated that the machine on which you could reproduce the
problem died 3 years ago, I have to assume that the problem may have been
fixed in the ensuing time period.

> > > Warnings related to Linux kernel bugs
> >
> > From what I can tell a lot of the warnings are bogus. You even go to
> > great lengths to "scare" people into only using "official" versions of
> > cdrtools.
>
> They are related to serious problems.

Really? From what I've seen you mark sections "You cannot change this" to stop
people from removing those warnings. In fact, there is code in cdrecord that
relates to "bugs" in distribution patched versions that most likely do not
exist anymore. "Serious problems", though? Seems you just love SCSI, fell in
love with ide-scsi and can't let it go. I've been using cdrecord for more
than six years now, the last two on a system without _ide-scsi_ and have yet
to have a problem - so either the problems you call serious are not serious
enough or I was lucky to build a system from spare parts that managed to
dodge all those problems. By applying Occams razor, I find that the first is
likely true.

DRH

  Last update: 2006-02-20 19:36    [W:0.313 / U:0.736 seconds]