    SubjectRe: Wanted: hotfixes for -mm kernels

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 at 15:53:52 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

    > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 15:00 -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    > > Most -mm kernels have small but critical bugs that are found shortly
    > > after release. Patches for these are posted on linux-kernel but
    > > they aren't made available on kernel.org until the next -mm release.
    > >
    > > Would it be possible to create a hotfix/ directory for each -mm
    > > release and put those patches there? A README could explain that
    > > the fixes are untested. At least people reading the files could
    > > see an issue exists even if they're not brave enough to try the
    > > patch. :)
    >
    > I doubt it - mm is an experimental kernel, hotfixes only make sense for
    > production stuff. It moves too fast.
    >
    > A better question is what does -mm give you that mainline does not, that
    > causes you to want to "stabilize" a specific -mm version?

    I'm talking about patches for problems that keep you from even testing
    -mm, or that fix really annoying things you hit while testing.

    E.g. in 2.6.16-rc1-mm4 we have:

    - SMP alternatives removes the lock prefix from instructions
    in every loaded module because it wrongly believes you are
    running an SMP kernel on UP.

    - Device-mapper mirroring is using the wrong endianness and will
    try to recover non-existent regions on the device.

    - Compiler spews hundreds of warning messages during build.

    - VGA console scrollback is totally broken because it prints
    a message on every scroll operation.

    Patches for all of the above and more have been posted to the list and
    I have applied them. All I want is a place to collect them so they can
    be more easily found.
    --
    Chuck