    SubjectRe: Recursive chmod/chown OOM kills box with 32MB RAM
    Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    >>In order for the journaled filesystems to make sure the FS is consistent after
    >>a crash, we need to keep some blocks in memory until other blocks have been
    >>written. These blocks are pinned, and can't be freed until a certain amount
    >>of io is done.
    >>In the case of reiserfs, it might pin as much as the size of the journal at
    >>any time. The default journal is 32MB, which is much too large for a system
    >>with only 32MB of ram.
    >>You can shrink the log of an existing filesystem. The minimum size is 513
    >>blocks, you might try 1024 as a good starting poing.
    >>reiserfstune -s 1024 /dev/xxxx
    > I had reiserfsprogs 3.6.11 and reiserfstune (above command) made my /dev/sdc3
    > unmountable without -t reiserfs. I upgraded reiserfsprogs to 3.6.19 and now
    > reiserfsck /dev/sdc3 reports no problems, but mount problem persists:
    > # mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdc3 /.3
    > # umount /.3
    > # mount /dev/sdc3 /.3
    > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
    > # dmesg | tail -3
    > br: port 1(ifi) entering forwarding state
    > FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
    > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc3.
    > "chown -Rc <n>:<m> ." now does not OOM kill the box, so this issue
    > is resolved, thanks!
    > Can I restore sdc3 somehow that I won't need -t reiserfs in mount command?
    > You can find result of
    > dd if=/dev/sdc3 of=1m bs=1M count=1
    > at

    At the risk of stating the obvious:
    1 - is reaser a module, and is it loaded?
    2 - did this ever work? I think you said you removed the entry from
    fstab, was the filetype there which made it work?

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2006-02-02 20:33    [W:0.023 / U:137.836 seconds]