    SubjectRe: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.
    Hi!

    > > Please take a look at /dev/snapshot.
    > >
    > > Parse error at the first sentence (too many nots), anyway:
    > >
    > > 1) we do not want two implementations of same code in kernel. [swsusp
    > > vs. pmdisk was a mess]
    > >
    > > 2) we are not going to merge code into kernel, when it is possible to
    > > do same thing in userspace. (*)
    > >
    > > 3) backwards compatibility is important in stable series.
    > >
    > > 4) merging code into kernel is a lot of work.
    > >
    > > I do not think I want to remove swsusp from kernel. Even if I wanted
    > > to, there's 3). That means suspend2 should not go in (see 1). Even if I
    > > removed swsusp from kernel, suspend2 is not going to be merged,
    > > because of 2). Even if world somehow forgot that it is possible to do
    > > suspend2 in userspace, merging 10K lines of code is (4) still lot of
    > > work.
    > >
    > > Oops, that looks bad for suspend2 merge. I really think you should
    > > take a look at /dev/snapshot. Unless it is terminally broken, I can't
    > > see how suspend2 could be merged.
    >
    > I don't want to argue Pavel. I want to give users the best suspend to disk
    > implementation they can get. If you want to argue, you can do so with

    I want to create best suspen that can be still merged into kernel; I
    guess thats the difference. Anyway I believe that most of suspend
    should be done in userspace -- most of it can. But I guess you need to
    hear it from Linus/Andrew, so...

    > yourself. Meanwhile, I'll work on getting Suspend2 ready for merging, and let
    > Andrew and Linus decide what they think should happen. If they want to step
    > in now and tell me not to bother, I'll happily listen and just maintain the

    Ahha, so that was the missing piece of puzzle.
    Pavel

    --
    Thanks, Sharp!