    SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
    Date
    Hi.

    On Monday 20 February 2006 10:53, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > > uswsusp does compress image (20% speedup, in recent CVS) and do
    > > > asynchronous I/O.
    > >
    > > Only 20? You must be doing something horribly wrong. Asynchronous
    >
    > 20% is speedup for compression alone, over whole suspend
    > process. Device suspend/resume takes lot of time in recent kernels.

    Ok. I'm not counting device suspend/resume time, but if you do, the percentage
    will vary according to the image size (since the device suspend/resume time
    should be independant of image size).

    > > > For what I'm planning, all the neccessary patches are already in -mm
    > > > tree. And they are *really* simple. If you can get suspend2 to 1000
    > > > lines of code (like Rafael did with uswsusp), we can have something to
    > > > talk about.
    > >
    > > Turn it round the right way. If you can get the functionality of Suspend2
    > > using userspace only, then we have something to talk about.
    >
    > Only feature I can't do is "save whole pagecache"... and 14000 lines
    > of code for _that_ is a bit too much. I could probably patch my kernel
    > to dump pagecache to userspace, but I do not think it is worth the
    > effort.

    Yes, 14,000 lines for that alone would be a bit too much :)

    > > > Maybe very little of substance is being done in userspace, but all the
    > > > uglyness can stay there. I no longer need LZF in kernel, special
    > > > netlink API for progress bar (progress bar naturally lives in
    > > > userland), no plugin infrastructure needed, etc.
    > >
    > > And you do need?...
    >
    > I do not need anything more than what is already in -mm tree.

    You misunderstand me. Let me reprhase. What additional dependencies do you
    have in userspace to support this? libabc, v >= x.y.z etc.

    > > > If you can do suspend2 without putting stuff listed above into kernel,
    > > > and in acceptable ammount of code... we can see. But you should really
    > > > put suspend2 code into userspace, and be done with that. Feel free to
    > > > spam l-k a bit more, but using existing infrastructure in -mm is right
    > > > way to go, and it is easier, too.
    > >
    > > It is only easier because you're not comparing apples with apples. I have
    > > no desire to spam LKML with this pointless discussion, so I'm just going
    > > to get on with submitting patches for review.
    >
    > So please take my comments from "suspend2 review" mail into account.

    Am going, as I do with all responses. Please just remember that taking them
    into account doesn't equate to slavishly doing everything suggested.

    Regards,

    Nigel