SubjectRe: pid_t range question
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>>> I'd say let's remain doing whatever we're doing now. That is, a maximum of
>>> 32768 concurrent pids, and whoever needs more (e.g. Sourceforge shell,
>>> etc.) can always raise it to their needs.
>>
>> when you say 'continue doing what we are doing now' do you mean to include the
>> hard-coded limit of 32K pids? or do you mean to not worry about the cosmetic
>> issue and change the code to not hard-code the limit, but instead honor a
>> max_pid >32K?
>>
> Stay with the 32K limit. I doubt the majority of users ever exceeds
> creating 32767 simultaneous processes.

I agree that the mojority of users don't hit this limit, but I've got a
couple of boxes that push it (they run out of ram before that, but more
ram is on order).

however it sounds like switching to a 64 bit kernel will avoid this limit,
so I'll put my efforts into configuring a box to do that.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2006-02-17 22:23    [W:0.705 / U:0.168 seconds]