    Christoph Hellwig wrote:

    > You can access SCSI CDs using /dev/sr* for burning CDs. It's backed by the
    > same highlevel code as SG_IO on /dev/hd* while the lowerlevel handling is
    > done transparently by the scsi midlayer, the same code used by /dev/sg* for
    > the below-blocklayer handling.

    This may be true if you create your own /dev entries, or are a udev guru
    and can get it to generate the right entries. And if you use ATAPI
    devices it works fine... But with Fedora and SuSE it appears that USB
    devices which appear as SCSI aren't functional. I tested the Fedora
    myself, and after killing udevd and making some entries by hand it
    worked once.

    Now if you can access SCSI burners more power to you, with FC4 up to
    recent updates, my one convenient real SCSI device most definitely
    doesn't work, and I havd to fall the system back to Slackware and 2.4
    which was on it before.

    Because you know how to get around the problems doesn't really suggest
    that there aren't any.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)