    SubjectRe: [patch 0/6] lightweight robust futexes: -V3

    * Daniel Walker <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 18:24 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > * Daniel Walker <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Another thing I noticed was that futex_offset on the surface looks
    > > > like a malicious users dream variable .. [...]
    > >
    > > i have no idea what you mean by that - could you explain whatever threat
    > > you have in mind, in more detail?
    > As I said, "on the surface" you could manipulate the
    > futex_offset to access memory unrelated to the futex structure .
    > That's all I'm referring too ..

    and? You can 'manipulate' arbitrary userspace memory, be that used by
    the kernel or not, and you can do a sys_futex(FUTEX_WAKE) on any
    arbitrary userspace memory address too (this is a core property of
    futexes). You must have meant something specific when you said "on the
    surface looks like a malicious users dream variable". In other words:
    please move your statement out of innuendo by backing it up with
    specifics (or by retracting it) - right now it's hanging in the air :)

      Last update: 2006-02-16 21:28    [W:0.022 / U:59.536 seconds]