SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc3-mm1: ISDN_DRV_GIGASET driver
Adrian,

thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

On 14.02.2006 15:00, you wrote:
> - Do we really want to add new non-CAPI drivers to the kernel?

I have been in contact with the isdn4linux maintainer Karsten Keil on
that topic for quite some time and he didn't voice any objections to
submitting the driver in its current state.

Personally I am a great fan of CAPI, and of course we'll be happy to
port the driver to CAPI as soon as the capi4linux / mISDN framework is
ready for such an endeavour. This may however take some time yet, if I
understand Karsten correctly. In particular, we are talking here about
the mISDN L3 interface which seems to be the most appropriate for this
purpose, but has not been documented so far.

In the meantime, I take it from the discussions on lkml that it is
strongly discouraged to maintain working drivers outside the kernel
tree, which is what prompted us to submit ours in the first place.
Therefore I think it's in the best interest of everybody to merge its
current isnd4linux gestalt now, and convert it to CAPI at the earliest
convenience.

> - A new driver that can only be built modular is not acceptable.

No problem. In fact, the submitted drivers work fine if linked directly
into the kernel, too. The dependency on modular build in gigaset/Kconfig
only exists for the benefit of the ser_gigaset driver which we didn't
submit anyway. (See part 0 for the reasons.) We left it in because tests
have been done almost exclusively with modular builds; but if that turns
out to be a problem we'll just remove it.

Regards
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@imap.cc
Bonn, Germany

  Last update: 2006-02-15 02:58    [W:0.068 / U:0.152 seconds]