    SubjectRe: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))
    On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:32:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    > Changes to the kernel have already managed to break us twice
    > (switching /sys/class from real subdirectories to symlinks means we can't
    > just ignore symlinks when recursing down through directories anymore, which
    > is a problem because the existing symlinks form loops.

    I've shown a simple way to handle this, so this should not be a problem

    > And deprecating /sbin/hotplug means we've got to bloat the code with
    > netlink stuff.) But we'll cope, and the user interface isn't
    > changing.

    Since when is /sbin/hotplug "depreciated"? It still works just fine,
    and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

    Turns out that some distros just don't want to use it, and use netlink
    instead. That should not stop you from using it if you wish, as the
    kernel sure doesn't care one way or the other.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2006-02-15 00:50    [W:0.020 / U:77.940 seconds]