    On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:24:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:14:06PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > > >
    > > > No. Why would it when it is very simple to query udevinfo for that?
    > >
    > > In order not to depend on a userland package for the kernel service of
    > > device enumeration? It's udevinfo now, what will it be in two years?
    > WTF? You are depending on that same program to create your device
    > nodes. If you don't want to use that program to do it, then use
    > something else, or use a static device tree, which works like always.

    Funnily enough, my, say, mp3 usb key sync system would like to run as
    non-root and does not want to know or care about what program creates
    the device nodes. Too bad this otherwise beautiful and useful sysfs
    is crippled by design.

    > sysfs exports everything that userspace needs to know, if it wants to
    > create a device node to talk to that specific device. udev used it to
    > create your /dev tree, while other programs use it to create temporary
    > device nodes to do other things to your devices. Either way, the kernel
    > doesn't know, or care what you call those device nodes.

    You mean root is mandatory to talk with devices, whatever they are?

      Last update: 2006-02-13 17:51    [W:0.024 / U:1.864 seconds]