    Christian Neumair <> wrote:

    > Am Freitag, den 10.02.2006, 16:06 -0500 schrieb Bill Davidsen:
    > > The kernel could provide a list of devices by category. It doesn't have
    > > to name them, run scripts, give descriptions, or paint them blue. Just a
    > > list of all block devices, tapes, by major/minor and category (ie.
    > > block, optical, floppy) would give the application layer a chance to do
    > > it's own interpretation.
    > Introducing more than interface for doing the same thing can be very
    > confusing and counter-productive. You'll create new, undocumented or
    > semi-documented interfaces which will lead to a dependency chaos.

    So you concur with me that the fact that Linux introduced another interface
    for SCSI was onfusing and counter-productive.

    > Some random script will work with kernel 2.6.11, 2.6.12 and 2.6.13, but
    > not 2.6.14 and later because a new device class was introduced and two
    > typos were fixed. Especially considering that the new linux development
    > model makes it likely that major changes go into micro releases,
    > stability and reliability will be a huge problem.

    The main problem is that there is no grant that a new model will survive
    a time frame that makes sense to implement support.

    > > Since -scanbus tells you a
    > > device is a CDrecorder, or something else, *any user* is likely to be
    > > able to tell it from DCD, CD-ROM, etc. Nice like of text for most devices...
    > Well, "any user" just opens his Windows Explorer and takes a look at the
    > icon of his drive D:\\ to see whether it's a CD-ROM or DVD. It is
    > interesting to see professional programmers often argue that a

    This is not true: a drive letter mapping does not need to exist on MS-WIN
    in order to be able to access it via ASPI or SPTI.

    -- (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin (uni) (work) Blog:

      Last update: 2006-02-13 14:28    [W:0.026 / U:0.960 seconds]