Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> I notice that the first thing people suggest is to make things like
> udev, hal and sysfs required instead of optional to do something as
> simple as burn a CD. As I mentioned before, if the kernel provided a
> list of devices then applications wouldn't break every time a new kernel
> came out which needs a new this, and new that, and a few new other
> support things.

This would make sense in case that a useful definition with a granted lifetime
of at least 10 years would be implemented.

> The kernel could provide a list of devices by category. It doesn't have

What if the kernel does not understand the cetegory?

Common oddities:

- Mac OS X tries to distinct between CD/DVD writers and CD/DVD-ROM
although there is only one device class.

- Older CD-writers identified as WORM although a CD-R is not a WORM.

> to name them, run scripts, give descriptions, or paint them blue. Just a
> list of all block devices, tapes, by major/minor and category (ie.
> block, optical, floppy) would give the application layer a chance to do
> it's own interpretation. HAL is great, but because it's not part of the
> kernel it's also going to suffer from "tracking error" for some changes.
> I find it easier to teach someone to use -scanbus than to explain how to
> make rules for udev.

As this categorisation does not work, we need a way to find all devices
that talk SCSI and let the application decicde what device is supported.

> Worth repeating: I find it easier to teach someone to use -scanbus than
> to explain how to make rules for udev. HAL is the right answer, but *in*
> the kernel, where it will track changes. Since -scanbus tells you a
> device is a CDrecorder, or something else, *any user* is likely to be
> able to tell it from DCD, CD-ROM, etc. Nice like of text for most devices...

So you seem to agree with me.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)