    Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com> writes:

    >> No. Why would it when it is very simple to query udevinfo for that?
    >
    > In order not to depend on a userland package for the kernel service of
    > device enumeration? It's udevinfo now, what will it be in two years?

    Come on, kernel does not need that info at all. In fact, cdrecord
    doesn't need it either. Some frontends, maybe, though hal may be
    better source if running.

    In fact udev isn't mandatory either. We have it because it's handy,
    it saves us from megatons of /dev files and keeps /dev/black-dvd in
    sync with black dvd.

    Personally I think the whole "cdrecord -scanbus" is bogus - command
    line utils should do what they are asked to do (e.g., write to
    /dev/hda1 or /dev/microcode if so requested).
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa