SubjectRe: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
Kyle Moffett wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2006, at 18:35, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
>> Anyway, it means that suspend is still quite a hot topic, and that is
>> good. (Linus said that suspend-to-disk is basically for people that
>> can't get suspend-to-RAM to work, and after I got suspend-to- RAM to
>> work reliably here, I can see his point).
>

> I completely agree. My Mac PowerBook has had suspend-to-RAM for a long
> time; I shut the lid and about 3 seconds later it's asleep, open it and
> 3 seconds later it's awake. Leave it sleeping for a week on a full
> charge, come back to find it still asleep. I can even put it to sleep,
> remove a drained battery and put in a fresh one (it has a small
> internal 2-minute RAM battery), then wake it up and resume work. I'm
> curious though, what proportion of laptop hardware actually has support
> for suspend-to-RAM? (including hardware for which linux does not yet
> have support).

I'd say about... 100% of all in use today :-) Really, I've not seen a
machine without APM or ACPI in ages...

> What percent of that hardware _does_ have Linux support?

85% I'd say. My notebook supports suspend, but not stand by, in Linux.
Suspend uses more battery. :-(

> Cheers,
> Kyle Moffett
>
> --
> If you don't believe that a case based on [nothing] could potentially
> drag on in court for _years_, then you have no business playing with
> the legal system at all.
> -- Rob Landley
>

> -

--hackmiester
Walk a mile in my shoes and you will be a mile away in a new pair of shoes.