SubjectRe: disabling libata

Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:16:21PM +0200, Imre Gergely wrote:
>> Erik Mouw wrote:
>>> Why would you want to do that? SATA are driven by libata and the disks
>>> turn up as SCSI devices. There's no way around that (yet).
>> if i recompile the kernel, and leave out the libata part, and compile in
>> support for SATA, under ATA, the harddisks turn up as normal IDE devices (ie
>> hde, hdf, etc). i would like that without recompiling. if it's possible of course.
>
> Yes, I know that's possible for some SATA adapters, but my question is
> why would you want to do that? The SATA support in the IDE subsystem is
> deprecated, you should really use libata.
>

> Erik

maybe it's just me... but it looks like if as SCSI device the whole thing is
slower than with IDE. i haven't tested it yet, but as sda the system load is
very high, i did some tests with dd, and the CPU usage is always at 98-100%.
and when i'm copying something to another disk, the other programs barely move,
sometimes even the mouse gets stuck. i dunno where this is coming from. i
thought i try with the old driver.

maybe if you could give me some hints about how to test the whole thing, i
could post some results. i know that driver change isn't the answer, but i
still wanted to know if one can switch between the old and the libata driver
without recompiling (with some boot parameters to the kernel perhaps).

  Last update: 2006-02-10 17:04    [W:0.074 / U:0.152 seconds]