>> > Users like to be able to get a list of posible targets for a single protocol.
>> > Nobody would ever think about trying to prevent people from getting a unified
>> > view on the list possible hosts that talk TCP/IP.
>> How do you perform -scanbus for TCP/IP? :-)
>There are various programs that do that for you.
>You could e.g. send a ping to the broadcast address in order to find hosts
>that are on the local network.

ping is ICMP/IP, therefore is not relevant to the question ;)
`nmap -sT` would probably do more TCP.

>If you understand this, why then insists other people in using names like

It's shorter than /dev/c0t0d0s0? Well, I think it's because people think
in terms of connectors (my drive is IDE therefore it must be hdc) rather
than protocol (my drive does ATAPI therefore it must be

Jan Engelhardt