    >> > Users like to be able to get a list of posible targets for a single protocol.
    >> > Nobody would ever think about trying to prevent people from getting a unified
    >> > view on the list possible hosts that talk TCP/IP.
    >>
    >> How do you perform -scanbus for TCP/IP? :-)
    >
    >There are various programs that do that for you.
    >You could e.g. send a ping to the broadcast address in order to find hosts
    >that are on the local network.

    ping is ICMP/IP, therefore is not relevant to the question ;)
    `nmap -sT` would probably do more TCP.

    >If you understand this, why then insists other people in using names like
    >/dev/hd*?

    It's shorter than /dev/c0t0d0s0? Well, I think it's because people think
    in terms of connectors (my drive is IDE therefore it must be hdc) rather
    than protocol (my drive does ATAPI therefore it must be
    /dev/scsi/c0t0d0s0).

    Jan Engelhardt