SubjectRe: single bit errors on files stored on USB-HDDs via USB2/usb_storage
Oliver Neukum wrote:
>>> You may have a bit pattern that stresses the controllers and suddenly
>>> a marginal cable may matter.
>> The errors occur in strings of 0xFFs. From the USB standard:
>>
>> a “1” is represented by no change in level and a “0” is represented by a
>> change in level
>
> Yes, plus added stuffing bits.
>
>> so this error-infested bytes are effectively long, quiet times on the
>> wire. I would have thought this would be the _least_ stressful time for
>> the controllers but maybe they are also more susceptible to noise during
>> this period.
>
> The longer you don't change the voltage the likelier are reciever and
> transmitter to get out of sync.

Yes, hence the bit-stuffing, you're right :). And hence this period
isn't really too stressful for the controller as the stuffed bits come
relatively often.

We're hoping that any wire-errors get picked up by the CRC anyway so a
marginal cable under any circumstances shouldn't silently corrupt data.
I love that word 'shouldn't' ;)

Regards,
Ben.

  Last update: 2006-12-09 11:19    [W:0.074 / U:0.084 seconds]