    SubjectRe: RFC: PCI quirks update for 2.6.16
    On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 06:27:40PM +0100, Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
    > Sergey Vlasov wrote on 07-12-06 14:53:
    > >On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:24:30 +0100 Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > >
    > >>While checking how to fix the VIA quirk regressions for several users
    > >>introduced into -stable in, I started looking through all
    > >>drivers/pci/quirks.c updates up to both -stable and 2.6.19.
    > >>
    > [snip]
    > >>
    > >>Bauke Jan Douma (1):
    > >> PCI: quirk for asus a8v and a8v delux motherboards
    > >
    > >This quirk will cause breakage for people who used an external PCI
    > >soundcard with these boards - the builtin sound chip which was
    > >invisible before may become the first audio device.
    > I'm afraid I don't understand the problem described here, when
    > ALSA can assign any arbitrary index number of a user's choice
    > to cards that are detected.

    The problem is that -stable patches should not introduce regression.
    And if this patch would be included in the next -stable release,
    people who upgrade to this release may get unexpected changes of sound
    cards indexes. This may be OK for a new 2.6.x release, but not for a
    new 2.6.16.y.

    > Indeed, on my system (an A8V Deluxe motherboard, with this
    > quirk active), my first soundcard (given index=0) is an offboard
    > Creative SB Live, and the onboard card I have assigned index=1.

    Yes, now I have exactly the same setup. But before this patch I did
    not have any index=N assignments in my configuration; after the patch
    I needed to add them to get my system working as before.

    > I for one need this quirk to get both soundcards at all (which
    > I need) -- no matter what indexing order.

    I don't question the need for this patch in mainline; however, it does
    not seem to be suitable for -stable.

    > >It also enables the MC97 device, which does not really work (there is
    > >no MC97 codec attached to the controller at least on A8V Deluxe; I'm
    > >not sure if there is some other variant of this board which has MC97,
    > >but it seems unlikely).
    > This one can be disabled separate of the AC97 -- let me get back
    > on that. I, for one (however much that is), don't need it either.

    Currently I get:

    VIA 82xx Modem: probe of 0000:00:11.6 failed with error -13

    on every boot (and snd_via82xx_modem module in memory). Not a grave
    bug, but not a good thing either (and another reason for not adding
    this patch to 2.6.16.y).
      Last update: 2006-12-07 19:35    [W:0.022 / U:57.388 seconds]