    Subjectselect() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

    I have a Dell XPS M1210 notebook with 2.6.18 running on it.

    I've noticed that a recent BIOS upgrade (A03 -> A05) has started giving me this
    message on system boot when hwclock runs.

    select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

    My machine has a dual-core Intel processor.

    A quick search revealed a workaround for hwclock to use the --directisa option.
    Also this bug seems to be generic to dual-core Intel processors as many other
    people also are facing the same issue on servers/desktops/laptops.

    Ritesh Raj Sarraf
    "Necessity is the mother of invention."
    "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research."
    "The great are those who achieve the impossible, the petty are those who
    cannot - rrs"

      Last update: 2006-12-29 21:49    [W:0.020 / U:4.132 seconds]