    SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc2: known unfixed regressions
    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 01:14:13PM -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
    > > There's also; the included patch break
    > > my nVidia devices and probably all PCIX devices, so it's not right, but
    > > something has to be done to fix ATI. My guess is a quirk to say that
    > > pci_intx doesn't work on certain devices and should just be skipped, but
    > > I'm not sure if it's just in combination with MSI or not.
    > This:
    > - does not seem to be a regression and
    > - missing MSI support is not such a big problem.
    > Considering how many problems patches in this area tend to cause on
    > different hardware, I'm even inclined to say that such patches should
    > only be added during the 2 weeks merge window before -rc1.

    (I was only talking about the first issue/patch as being a regression,
    obviously, and forgot that there was more to the email I cited.)

    Ah, okay. I somehow missed that all of the devices that were reported
    to break with the MSI change in mainline doesn't support MSI in mainline.
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this issue applied to audio on ATI
    SB450 and later, which (I think) use the hda_intel driver, which supports
    MSI (although I guess it's still defaulting to disabled). If this is true,
    it would be a regression since 2.6.19.

    The addition of a quirk to not use pci_intx with MSI on ATI PCI devices
    should be safe (until 2.6.20-rc1, this was the usual kernel behavior), but
    is clearly not critical if mainline doesn't use MSI with any such devices

    *This .sig left intentionally blank*

      Last update: 2006-12-29 21:21    [W:0.020 / U:49.080 seconds]