    SubjectRe: How to detect multi-core and/or HT-enabled CPUs in 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels

    > actually I wanted to write that "HT as implemented on XEONs did not
    > help a lot for HPC workloads in the past"....

    btw this is exactly the problem I am trying to point out: ".. as
    implemented in generation XYZ model ABC of processor DEF".
    that's going to be really fragile and in fact won't work even for
    processors you can buy today (power5 and sparc niagara for example, and
    depending on the workload, even on todays 16Mb cache Xeons).

    once your program (and many others) have such a check, then the next
    step will be pressure on the kernel code to "fake" the old situation
    when there is a processor where <vague criteria of the day> no longer
    holds. It's basically a road to madness :-(

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org