    SubjectRe: Binary Drivers
    On 12/18/06, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

    > We have a process that has worked for centuries to improve our
    > knowledge base. The scientific method and peer review. We use a
    > variation of this proven process for writing software in linux. The
    > binary only vendors are being rude and refusing to participate.
    >
    > Do you understand why we have no sympathy for their efforts, no desire
    > to make their lives easier.
    >
    > In general people doing binary only drivers are being rude.
    ---

    Which is more rude:
    (a) "Thank you for requesting a driver to support our hardware on
    Linux. Unfortunately, we don't have time either to provide such a
    driver or write the documentation that would allow you do so. The
    Linux market is not big enough to justify the work, and as a result we
    cannot offer you any support.", or

    (b) "Thank you for requesting a driver to support our hardware on
    Linux. Unfortunately, we don't have time either to provide such a
    driver or write the documentation that would allow you do so. The
    Linux market is not big enough to justify the legal and technical
    expense involved. However, we can provide you with this binary driver
    that we believe will allow you to use the hardware in your system,
    just as we provide binary drivers for other hardware platforms."

    You say "It's rude to not play by our rules". They say "It's rude of
    you to expect us to change our business model to support your niche
    market differently from the way we support everyone else." Neither is
    wrong...

    scott

    scott

      Last update: 2006-12-21 17:35    [W:0.021 / U:0.616 seconds]