    SubjectNetwork drivers that don't suspend on interface down
    On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:50:24AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    (Adding netdev - context is the altering of the runtime power
    management interface, with the effect that it's no longer possible for
    userspace to request that drivers suspend a device, so Arjan has
    suggested that we do it via other existing interfaces)

    > > Seriously. How many pieces of userspace-visible functionality have
    > > recently been removed without there being any sort of alternative?
    >
    > There IS an alternative, you're using it for networking:
    >
    > You *down the interface*.
    >
    > If there's a NIC that doesn't support that let us (or preferably netdev)
    > know and it'll get fixed quickly I'm sure.

    As far as I can tell, the following network devices don't put the
    hardware into D3 on interface down:

    3c59x
    8139too
    acenic
    amd8111e
    b44
    cassini
    defxx
    dl2k
    e100
    e1000
    epic100
    fealnx
    forcedeth
    hamachi
    hp100
    ioc3-eth
    natsemi
    ne2k-pci
    ns83820
    pcnet32
    qla3xxx
    rtl8169
    rrunner
    s2io
    saa9730
    sis190
    sis900
    skge
    sky2
    spider_net
    starfire
    sundance
    sungem
    sunhme
    tc35815
    tlan
    via-rhine
    yellowfin

    while these ones do:

    bnx2
    tg3
    typhoon
    via-velocity

    tulip is somewhere in between - it puts the chip in a lower power state,
    but not D3. It's possible that some of the other drivers do something
    similar, but nothing leapt out at me.

    The situation is more complicated for wireless. Userspace expects to be
    able to get scan results from the card even if the interface is down. In
    that case, I'm pretty sure we need a third state rather than just "up"
    or "down".
    --
    Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org