SubjectRe: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives
On Sat, 2006-12-02 17:17:37, Kurtis D. Rader wrote:
> The same disks attached to a Promise TX2 SATA controller (in the same
> system) experience no corruption.

I spoke too soon. Corruption is occurring with the disks attached to the
Promise TX2 SATA controller but much less frequently. With the drives
attached to the nVidia controller copying certain 2 GiB files would
result in at least five bytes, and as many as thirty, being corrupted
every single time. On the Promise controller a given copy is likely to be
good. And when corruption does occur fewer bytes are being affected ---
as little as a single byte in a 2 GiB file. But still, some files never
show corruption while others do.

The Promise controller in a PCI slot is measurably slower than the nVidia
on the baseboard so the speed of the transfers appears to be a factor. In
addition to the pattern of data. My hunch is this is a nVidia nForce 4
chipset design defect involving buss crosstalk or something similar. Which
may be why I'm not seeing it when writing to my relatively slow PATA disks.

--
Kurtis D. Rader, Linux level 3 support email: krader@us.ibm.com
IBM Integrated Technology Services DID: +1 503-578-3714